Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dessus or Dessous?

You’re going to think I’m crazy. How can anyone just up and go on a whim? How could you leave your country, your family, your friends and almost all your belongings behind to go and live in a country you’ve never been to before? How could anyone move to a place without learning to speak the language first?
Okay. I am crazy, or at least I was.
But haven’t you ever dreamt of doing just that? Haven’t we all dreamt of starting over at some point in our lives?
As a little girl I used to love to lounge out on the back seat of the car whenever we went on longer trips. I would watch the clouds above me through the window and pretend I was running away. I would imagine a whole new life for myself, but I usually imagined my destination would be Florida or Maine.
So I guess I fell in love with the idea of starting over years prior to falling in love with the man who would offer me the chance to do just that. When he asked me to move with him to France, I stunned him by saying yes. I didn’t hesitate for a second because in a way, I’d been planning that move my entire life.
It sounds easy doesn’t it? I wish it had been. I wish it was.
If you’ve ever travelled and lived far away from your country for a long period of time, you know that it’s never easy. There are things you miss and days you would do just about anything to go back to where you believe you belong. There are other days when you do go back and sometimes get the feeling that you no longer belong there either. You become this person who just can’t feel completely at home anywhere.
If I remain here, in seven years, I will have lived half my life in each country. I wonder if by then, I’ll finally have managed to pronounce dessus and dessous differently and therefore correctly and without having to resort to theatrics in order to indicate whether I mean above or below. That pretty much is how I feel most days over here—like I’m caught between that above and below, not sure exactly where I’m at but floating somewhere in the middle.

2 comments:

  1. We'll said!!! I think you and I have something in common... Since I was a teen, I've wanted to live
    "abroad." I can still remember when I was living in NZ for just a few months, how much I loved living in a different country. So, finding myself in France was part of my life's dream. Esp. after having studied French in school for almost 5 years and always wanting to have a second lang. under my belt. So, I can really relate to what you wrote!
    I think the pronunciation part of a lang. is very difficult, so, hang in there! You'll get it! Dessus and dessous were also two words high on my list where I didn't here much difference, but now I do and can say each one pretty well... I still have trouble with the pesky-- "u" and "ou" words, though... Butt, I no longer say, Merci beau cul
    (beaucoup) like I did during my first year here! hehehehe... Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and do feel free to stop by again or contact me by email...
    Take care,
    Leesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me above. I was signed in as Cupcakeprincesse.... Take care, Leesa

    ReplyDelete